Monday, August 8, 2011

Tiverton to Bodmin

When we left the hotel this morning I think it would be fair to say that we were both tired, this was not through any failing of the proprietors who had served us well. It was the accumulation of the last eleven days cycling an average of 70 miles a day. Three miles of relatively flat (for Devon) A roads rapidly turned into a 15% hill, I have never been sure what 15% relates to as I grew up with the "1 in something" way of showing steepness. My hill walking experience kicked in straight away and as soon as I saw it I climbed off the bike and started to push it uphill. I was mad with myself for not been able to cycle up this hill and turned to apologise to Colin to find him walking as well, this made me feel a little better.
There was several small hills and another savage one coming out of Okehampton, but we were on the A30 now, the road that would lead us to Lands End. It seemed that there was nothing going to stop us now, (spoke to soon) Colin's call could only mean trouble. I stopped, looked back, he was already pushing the bike along the shoulder of the duel carriageway. Fortunatly Gwyneth wasn't far away and the puncture was soon fixed and we were on our way again. A mandatory stop at Jamaca Inn on top of Bodmin Moor was the only further stop to Bodmin town.
Most of the stats are here upto the Jamaca Inn stop, there is a gap near Okehampton which was my fault for not starting the tracker again.
The stats for the part from Jamaca Inn to Bodmin will appear here when I get them From Colin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sponsored Bike Ride 2011

Well I've borrowed a bike and decided to give it ago. So Colin and myself are training to try and get fit,
any tips or hints would be good.
I'll post some links to the training runs I've been
doing when I can figure out how.