Thursday, May 19, 2011

As if there's a place called Ugthorpe

Thought I'd have a longer ride tonight. Been watching the weather all day hoping it was going to stay fine. Set off up Skelder with the intention of going to the turn off for Mickleby then back to Whitby on the coast road.
My big problem is I need to slow down and try to enjoy this rather than treating it as a race, so I saw the sign for Ugthorpe and thought, why not. Having negotiated a right turn I was back on the empty country roads. This was good and it wasn't long before Ugthorpe was bluring by on the slight decent. Then came the ford so from here I knew it would be up hill all the way to Lythe. From here the steep bank took me quickly down to sea-level and I'd forgotten all about the long pull up Skelder.
Out of Sandsend is a drag up to the golf course, I was passed here by some young lad on a faster bike than mine and I tried to catch him all the way back to Whitby, no chance. I should be grateful, he kept my average up to 11.85 mph over 16 miles of hills, not bad for an old one. I'll see if I can get a short run in tomorrow.
Cheers for now.
P.S. Just want to say hello to all the bloggers from across the water, we. Be had some from Spain, Italy, Germany, the US and obviously many from the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sponsored Bike Ride 2011

Well I've borrowed a bike and decided to give it ago. So Colin and myself are training to try and get fit,
any tips or hints would be good.
I'll post some links to the training runs I've been
doing when I can figure out how.